1. What is detoxing and cleansing?
In essence, it is a process by which a person undergoes a program involving a diet change and/or supplement to the diet in order to assist the body to eliminate the toxins and parasites that can build over time. This build up can occur in the fat cells, organs or intestines, due to the heavy toxic load of modern life. We recommend a cleanse/detoxprogram should be done at least once, preferably two or even three times each year.
2. Will I feel better after doing a cleanse/detox program?
You will feel the difference between before and after the detox program, but you may actually start to feel a little worse before things improve. This is entirely normal. The programs have been carefully designed to give powerful results and are supported with an exercise and healing schedule to maximize the benefits of the cleanse.
3. Is a cleanse/detox easy to do?
The short answer is no. But like anything truly worthwhile, it does require your commitment and focus. Detox programs have different levels of intensity. By starting on a low intensity program you give the body a chance to gradually eliminated unwanted substances/organisms.
If you dive in at the deep end then the body can have too much to do all at once and you could experience a “toxic rush”. This could result in unpleasant headaches, lethargy and general uneasiness.
This can be a natural part of doing a cleanse and we are here to support you in this process, help you find a level that works for you and is easier to stick to.
4. Will I experience any adverse reaction whilst doing a cleanse/detox?
Sometimes when you are trying to get rid of toxins from the cells of the body, too many get ‘released’ into the blood stream at once and this can upset your system a little. You may get an occasional headache or upset stomach or even feel emotional. This is part of the process.
It’s likely to have taken years and years to build up these toxins in your system. Don’t expect to get rid of all of them in a few days. It can take a few weeks or even a number of programs spread throughout the year to get a perfect result. However, don’t underestimate the benefit of doing a short program. This is far, far better than nothing at all.
5. Can I eat my normal diet after the Cleanse?
Without a doubt, the potential benefits will be enhanced by following a fresh, seasonal, organic, plant based diet as much as is possible. At the very least avoid eating junk food and if you eat meat, cut back significantly.
Try what works for your particular lifestyle. Some people can survive well on a diet of whole grains, raw foods and fruit, whilst others need a wider variety. Never forget, the body is a system and is meant to work for you. The goal is not to become obsessed with your body, but to get the best from it, we must take good care of it.
6. Why is it likely that I have parasites and toxins?
Certainly almost everyone who lives in a populated part of the world will have some toxins in their bodies. We live in an increasingly chemical-laden society. But what about parasites?
Research has shown that the human body plays host to numerous other organisms, mostly bacteria, most of which are harmless and in fact help with the digestive process. However there are very often harmful bacteria in the system as well as liver flukes and intestinal flukes and worms of different types.
Not everyone has these but many ‘healthy’ people do have them. It can be quite shocking but it’s better to know and treat the problem than not know and do nothing! For example, intestinal roundworms (one of the largest and most common parasites found in humans) live in the small intestine and eggs are passed in the faeces. A single female can produce up to 200,000 eggs each day, and pass into the lungs or gastrointestinal tract, so it’s very important that we treat such conditions.
7. Once I’ve done a cleanse/detox, how can I ensure I get no more parasites?
Unfortunately, parasites and toxins are a fact of life. However you can do quite a lot to minimise the chances of getting “re-infected”.
– We strongly advise a plant-based diet, however if you do eat meat of fish, ensure that it is properly cooked. Parasites are often found in raw meat and fish and by proper cooking you can kill them off. Maintain good hygiene whenever preparing food and do not bring uncooked foods anywhere near meat or fish when you are preparing foods such as salads etc which will not get cooked.
– Wash your hands after visiting the bathroom.
– If you have pets you should avoid facial contact with them and always ensure animal excreta is quickly disposed of in a safe manner.
– Do not bite your nails or put your fingers near your mouth, especially if you have contacted pets, soil, meat or other areas that possibly could contain parasites.
It is important to realise that parasites, disease and viruses prefer to live in an unhealthy body. So by eliminating all or most of these conditions in which they thrive by doing a cleanse, you are giving your body the best possible chance of robust health.
Experiencing the following symptoms may indicate that you need to Detox:
- Mood swings
- Digestive problems – diarrhea, gas, bloating, constipation, sluggish system
- Hormonal imbalances
- Weight gain
- Yeast/fungal infections
- Food cravings
Contra-Indications – the following persons should not undertake a detox without seeking advice from their medical practitioner:
- Pregnant women
- Breastfeeding women
- Persons suffering from mental illness including severe depression
- Persons in the advanced stages of any serious disease
- Persons suffering from eating disorders
- Persons on certain prescription medications
- Elderly or infirm persons
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the detoxing process. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.